Pre-Race Drama: Plantar Wart Wounds

>> Thursday, October 02, 2014

Well, it's 2 days before our big weekend of races, so of course there's a little drama. Damn it.

WARNING! GROSS FOOT PHOTOS AHEAD!

About 6 weeks ago, I had a sore spot on my toe. I looked closely, and I found a HANDFUL of plantar warts on the end of 2 toes on my right foot, along with 2 on the bottom of my foot. I hadn't had any plantar warts for YEARS, and suddenly I had a crop of them.

I treated them with the the "freeze" stuff. In the past when I've had a few on the bottom of my foot, I've used the "pads," but there was no room for the pads at the end of my toes.

I re-treated them nearly 2 weeks ago, thinking that would give them plenty of time to heal up before the races this weekend. About a week ago, they were still achy, and they looked like this:


Two blistered treated plantar warts.

After an easy run with Charlie on Tuesday, both of those blisters fell off to reveal super sore and tender thin skin underneath. Here's what they looked like about 4-5 hours after they fell off:


Ouch. In my office after my class.


The view from above. There's another sore on the right side of my 2nd toe
that faces the visible wound. They rub together when I walk. Awesome.

I tried to keep my shoes off at home to let them "dry up" and heal some more. They were sore, but I could walk normally if I tried. Yesterday, when the boys were napping, I got an updated photo:


That whole white area is peeling away from my toes. Yuck.

So I'm hoping these bad boys don't cause me any pain during the 10K, 5K, and/or the 10 Mile this weekend. If I was racing only 1 race, I wouldn't be too worried. But with these 3 races and over 20 miles of running in 2 days, I'm a little uneasy. Damn it. And even if the actual wounds are OK, it's still super achy all around the toe from (essentially) the frostbite I gave my myself, but the general achiness hasn't been a problem for running in the last 2 weeks.

Alright, time to race this weekend. Keep an eye on my twitter page all weekend long for updates. Here are some related posts:

- My predictions for how I'll do in the "Loony Challenge."
- Photos from the "new" TC 10 Mile route.
- Advice from last year's "Loony Challenge" winner regarding how to race 3 races in weekend.

3 comments:

Terry 8:25 AM, October 02, 2014  

I'll leave the more predictable wart comments and observations for others. But in all seriousness you should consider knocking down that fur on your toe knuckles a bit.

Good luck with your runs on Saturday and Sunday. I'm running TCM on Sunday myself and got bait and switched into the 5k on Saturday - My wife was supposed to do the 5k w/ my son & I was supposed to trot the 1 mile w/ my daughter, but my wife wussed out and requested that we switch. I call the series the "TC Inadvisable."

gmgizmo9 8:30 AM, October 02, 2014  

My son just texted me a picture of HIS blister mess! The same son whose picture I forwarded to you a couple years ago. Maybe I need to share this one, too...

Good luck with your back to back...to back races! And have fun!?

Unknown 7:15 PM, October 02, 2014  

put some salt on them... that will cure it....

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!

Twitter

Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2024 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.