"The Night Before Christmas" for a Runner

>> Wednesday, December 26, 2012

I got this in an e-mail yesterday....


Twas the morn before Christmas, 5 miles to complete.
Not a neighbor was stirring as I ran down the street.
The decorations were placed on the front lawns with care,
Lighting my path as I ran by there.

My children were snoring, all warm in their beds,
While theme music from Rocky blasted in my head.
I in my Brooks and warm running cap,
had just turned the corner for my last tempo lap.

When out from the park there arose such a clatter,
I picked up my pace to see what was the matter.
Away to the park, I sprinted like a flash
Held onto my water bottle and little GU stash.

The warmth of the sunrise just starting to show
Gave a glimmer to dew drops on objects below
When what to my wondering eyes should appear?
Not a miniature sleigh or eight tiny reindeer.

But a little old runner so lively and quick.
I knew in a moment, it must be "Run Nick!"
Running farther than Kenyans, marathoning his game.
He chuckled and shouted and called them by name.

"To Houston, to Boston, Honolulu and Disney
Marine Corps, Detroit, to Big Sur, and Glass City
Training in the winter, spring, summer and fall.
Going to run, going to run, going to run them all!!"

He was dressed all in gortex, water bottles strategically put
His arms were defined and a Road ID bounced on his foot.
A packet of GU he flung over his back
And he looked like an elite gliding around the track

His eyes, they were focused, his strides were quite merry
His cheeks were quite rosy, his nose like a cherry.
The tears on his face were frozen and aglow
which gave evidence that the temps were 20 below.

He was lean and fit a right sleek little elf
And I laughed and joined him in spite of myself.
A wink of his eye, and a nod of his head
Soon gave me to know I was way over my head.

He spoke not a word, just left me in the dust
Then turned on a dime and faced the wind gust.
He trotted back over and gave me a hand
Encouragement from him felt rather grand.

He headed out of the park, for it was getting late
And away he set off with a bounce in his gait.
But I heard him exclaim as he ran out of sight.
MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL AND MAY YOUR RUNNING SEASON BE BRIGHT!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!

Twitter

Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2024 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.